Friday, May 28, 2010

Meeting the Mother - from KING BY RIGHT OF BLOOD AND MIGHT - Published

A few days later, Harris pulled Magg aside. “I have to leave now; my staying is too suspicious for my story. I only wish I could repay you for all you’ve done for me, but I swear I will as soon as I can.”

“The coin you carried more than paid your way here, and your company has been a pure delight. You owe us nothing. But I knew this day would come, so I want you to come with me to the shrine of the Mother before you go.”

He had never been to a shrine before coming to Carolinas, but he had learned to treasure the custom and experience.

He waited respectfully back a bit as Magg said her prayers, left a small offering and lit a candle. Then it was his turn while she waited.

Kneeling before the small white statue of a pious woman, he said, “I ask your blessing and guidance on my journey into the unknown to search for the answers to the puzzle of my life. I offer this of me as pledge of my newly learned devotion.” He made a small cut on his left palm and allowed a few drops of blood to drip at her feet. Then he cut a pinch of his hair and laid it in the blood. “Please protect those I love from the enemy they cannot see.” He lit another small candle and rose to leave.

The next thing he knew, Magg was slapping his face lightly and calling his name.

“What happened?” he asked as he sat up.

“Something I’ve never seen in all my years. I don’t know what you prayed for, but whatever it was, the Mother has blessed you with her touch.” She held up a circle of polished metal for him to see.

There between his eyebrows was a small white stone with a speck of glitter in the center.

No comments: